Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Yarny Surprises

I finally got up the gumption to get out one skein of the many of the handspun ivory punta that I've been spinning. The idea was to buy the punta from Sheep Shed Studio whenever I had the extra money, spin it up, and then hand dye the finished yarn, as opposed to dyeing it as fiber like I usually do. I knew the effect would be different, but I had no idea HOW different! So, I threw it in the roaster, and off I went with the dye:
I also added some brown to temper the wild fuschia and violet. Not only did I get the beautiful color I figured I would get, I got this:
The plys of the yarn took the dye differently!! Look at that! ha! PLUS, the entire texture of the yarn changed. It is springy and bouncy like I've never seen in a handspun! Now, of course, this must've been the nature of the punta wool, but I am astounded. Now I know I can go forward with this whole thing...my line of hand-dyed, hand-spun yarns I am going to call "Lady of the Lake" yarns. What a GREAT day!

I also completely finished and blocked the Bird's Nest shawl!


Now, it's on to either more dyeing or more knitting. Do I want to knit another shawl? I think so. This is sitting here, staring me in the face, waiting to be the Sampler Shawl...Iris Heather Palette yarn:
But for now, I have to go to work. I'm gonna sleep for another hour first, though. I'm pooped!

2 comments:

  1. Love that yarn. I now have to order my some Punta from SSS. Shame on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh your dyeing is beautiful!!! I'm putting Punta on my SSS grocery list ;) Your shawl is gorgeous too!! Thanks for stopping by my crazy blog....I checked out your etsy shop (marked as a favorite) and can't wait to see what new rovings you put up!!

    ReplyDelete